POSTURE BREAKDOWN: Warrior 1 (Virabhadrasana 1)
Warrior 1 (Virabhadrasana 1)
- Starting in Mountain Pose (Tadasana), step back with one foot about 3-4 feet behind you (using right foot for this example).
- Right foot is at a 45 degree angle and left foot is pointing forward. The heels of your feet are in line with each other.
- Your right heel is reaching down towards the ground and you are pressing down with the outer edge of your right foot.
- Left knee is bent and directly above the left ankle.
- Right leg is straight and right knee is engaged and lifted.
- Hips, ribs, and shoulders are squared to the front of your mat.
- Arms are straight up and hands are reaching up towards the sky.
- Fingers are engaged and the pinkie edge of your hands are facing the front of your mat and reaching up towards the sky.
- Gaze is strong and straight ahead.
- Shoulders are relaxed and away from your ears.
- Hold for 3-8 breaths.
- After 3-8 breaths, step your right foot forward to Mountain Pose or open up to Warrior 2.
Benefits (Source: Yoga Journal)
- Overall great pose to strengthen and stretch multiple parts of your body
Prep Poses (do these before W1)
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
- Extended Side Angle Pose (Utthita Parsvakonasana)
Follow-Up Poses (do these after W1)
- Any poses - however, a popular transition after W1 is W2 or W3