POSTURE BREAKDOWN: Extended Puppy Pose (Uttana Shishosana)
Extended Puppy Pose (Uttana Shishosana)
- Start on all fours with your hands under your shoulders and your hips over your knees.
- Keeping your hips over your knees, reach your hands out in front of you until your arms are straight and engaged (elbows off the ground).
- Rest your forehead on the ground and relax your neck.
- Press your palms into the ground and at the same time reach your hips back (but keeping them over your knees) to lengthen your spine.
- Feel the stretch on your side ribs.
- Hold for 5-8 breaths.
- After 5-8 breaths slowly push back into child's pose.
Benefits (Source: Yoga Journal)
- Stretches the spine and shoulders
Be cautious in this pose if you have a knee injury.
Prep Poses (do these before puppy pose)
Follow-Up Poses (do these after puppy pose)
- Child's Pose (Balasana)